Harry Chapin, World Hunger Year


i am born today the sun burns it's promise in my eyes,
momma strikes me and i draw a breath and cry

above me a cloud slowly tumble through the sky,

i am glad to be alive...

it's seven days today, i taste the hunger and i cry

my brother and sister cling to momma's side
she squeezes her breast but has nothing to provide

someone weeps....i fall asleep


it's twenty days today, momma does not hold me anymore
i open my mouth, but i am to week to cry
above me a cloud slowly crawls across the sky

why is there nothing
left to do
but die?

2 comments:

Raven said...

Profoundly beautiful poem about a horror which should not be allowed to be in such an abundant world.

Magyar said...

Often the sorrowfull, is a truth some try and avoid; a solitary bell tolls... ending Chapin's dirge.
_m